Rams rout Cougars, 94-66

Authors: Justin Warren

The fans at Moby Arena witnessed a different CSU women’s basketball team on Friday night than the one that showed up last week, with the Rams defeating the Colorado Christinan Cougars, 94-66.

The Rams dominated the Cougars in every aspect of the game, especially in rebounding.

CSU finished the game with a total of 50 rebounds compared to the Cougars 39.

“We got punished for not rebounding last week,” said senior captain Kandy Beemer.

Juanise Cornell was a big part of CSU’s rebounding with a total of 10, six of which were defensive, and Devran Tanacan improved her performance from last week with six total rebounds.

“We practiced boxing out and getting the rebounds,” said Tanacan. “Coach (Dick) Lien worked with me and told me to use the backboard and it worked.”

The Rams also improved on their offensive play, playing a run-and-gun type offense and setting up for more three-point attempts.

Beemer lead the offensive charge with 16 points and five three-point shots.

“We want to run and gun, and that’s how coach wants us to play,” said Beemer.

The major aspect of the game the Rams worked on this week in practice was their defensive play.

Head coach Kristen Holt worked on an aggressive style defense that paid off against the Cougars.

“Defensively I thought we did so much better and I was pleased with our effort,” said coach Holt. “To compete we are going to have to have some sort of defense, and I was disappointed with the defense in our first game.”

Natali Van Den Adel, who will begin her 27 game suspensions next week, started against the Cougars, recording nine points, five rebounds and one turnover.

“It felt like it was my last game but it was good,” said Van Den Adel. “Other players let me play for them and we all worked with each other out there.”

Every player saw action and scored points Friday night, which is something coach Holt has been doing for the two exhibition games.

Next up for the Rams will be their first regular season game against Wichita State in Wichita, Kan on November 15.

After going undefeated in their two exhibition games, the Rams will now have to compete against Division-I opponents for the remainder of the season.

“There were so many things I thought we improved on in our first two games, said coach Holt. “Our next game is going to the next level with facing a Division I opponent.”

The Rams will not return home to Moby Arena until their third game of the year against Idaho.