Authors: Brian Lancaster

As a die-hard computer gamer, I am constantly under fire from console gamers for my decision to stay loyal to my beloved PC.

The contest for best gaming platform is almost as old as the rivalry between PC users and Mac users (Hey Mac users, when was the last time you right-clicked? Oh, right, never).

But this winter, there may be hope for the PC gaming community to salvage their hard-to-come-by dignity. Yes indeed, the winter season holds many great things in store for PC gamers everywhere.

Like what, you ask? What a great segue to my appropriately titled “Top Three Reasons to Be a PC Gamer This Winter.”

3. “Grand Theft Auto IV”

Now, I know what you’re saying. I can even say it myself in my head in a whiny, shrill console gamer voice: “But Brian, that game already came out for console months ago!” True, but without the PC, this series wouldn’t even exist.

That being said, I cannot wait to test this game out on my computer. Driving around city streets in a make-believe environment, running over pedestrians, and immersing yourself in the gang world have never been this fun – or this safe.

2. “Fallout 3”

The “Fallout” series had been sadly off of the gaming community’s radar until recently, when Bethesda, the same studio that broke the role playing game genre mold with “Oblivion,” decided to pick up the pieces. The result? A beautiful game that stays true to the amazing “Fallout” universe and story line.

This game came out a little less than a week ago, and it is safe to say that, since then, when I haven’t been at school or at work, I have been in the bombed-out wasteland that is Washington DC.

I have had more fun with this game than I have had with any new game in a very long time, and the hits just keep on coming.

I’ve always been a fan of the “Fallout” series, and I am in love with the way that Bethesda has written this game.

I giggled like a little girl when I received my Pipboy, felt my jaw drop when I shot a ghoul’s head clean off and squealed with delight when I first met the Brotherhood of Steel.

Sadly, this game also came out for console play. However, once again, without the computer, this series wouldn’t be in existence.

1. “World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King”

Oh, sure, as if I needed a reason to spend the next three months of my life holed up in my room on my computer.

With the level cap increasing to 80, the introduction of the first hero class, and an entirely new continent full of quests, raids, dungeons and cities, I might as well kiss any social life I may have had goodbye on Nov. 13.

I have spent the last three months or so preparing myself for this expansion pack, and I still feel grossly underprepared. It’s an addiction, it’s eating my soul away, and I love every minute of it.

There you have it, the definitive list of why it’s great to be a PC gamer this winter.

I hope all of the PC gamers who read this column feel a certain sense of pride about the great games that are in their future.

I would feel pride, but I just got ripped apart by a radioactive mutant while visiting the Jefferson Memorial.

I hate Washington D.C.

Brian Lancaster is a senior English major. His column appears Wednesdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.