Our View: Congrats Obama

Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

At 9:25 p.m. Tuesday, America witnessed history as Barack Obama was elected president of the United States. Obama will not only go down in history as the first black president — he will be remembered for his inspiring campaign platforms that he promises will lead the nation out of the abysmal situation caused by eight years of Bush politics.

With Obama in the White House and Sen. Joe Biden at his side, the country can pull through the mud.

In a country where the economy teeters on the edge of the worst economic crisis in a century, we need what Obama has so strongly touted as his main talking point: change. With a government that has tangled its nation up in a highly unpopular and seemingly endless war, Obama’s dynamic thinking and dramatically different policy ideas are the fork in the road that this nation needs.

And as a young and involved youth generation, we will all remember where we were when we witnessed history on the evening of Nov. 4, 2008, as Obama took the stage in Chicago and assured the nation that this is our victory.

For vowing to lead our country in a new direction, for presenting the U.S. with new policies and for getting the youth of the nation excited about politics, we pat you on the back, Barack Obama.