Authors: Lucia Papureanu

In the weeks leading up to Election Day, Vote CSU! ran the largest on-the-ground, non-partisan efforts ever seen on the CSU campus to turn out young voters on Nov. 4.

This massive student “get out the vote” drive — spearheaded by dozens of volunteers from different organizations such as Greek Life, Residence Hall Association and the Black Student Alliance — hopes to maximize youth turnout.

As registration deadlines pass across the country, the focus of young voter mobilization groups has shifted from registration to voter education and now to “get out the vote” that uses tactics such as canvassing, phone banking and text messaging.

The last struggle to get out the student vote happened on the Lory Student Center Plaza Monday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. with Flash Mob, and the Associated Students of CSU will host “Party After the Polls,” a non-partisan election results party at CB and Potts from 6 p.m. to 2 a.m., complete with free food and beverages, a results toast, a DJ, balloon drop and door prizes tonight.

All these student leaders on campus have struggled for months to make our voices heard. Now is our turn! But why should we take time out of busy Tuesday and go cast out our vote?

A Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement survey says that only 8 percent of party leaders identified young voters as the most important demographic in the success of their parties.

Could you blame them? Probably so, but in the fast -paced world of politics, a low percentage of students who vote quickly translates into lack of interest from politicians to fight for student goals and represent the student population’s concerns.

Youth voting increased by 11 percent in the last presidential election, according to CIRCLE. Still, less than half of 18- to 24-year-old citizens voted, compared to two-thirds of citizens 25 and older.

Is 2008 the year when youth vote will pull its own weight? Is 2008 the time when politicians will be taught not to ignore a considerable part of the population? I guess I will cast my verdict after tonight. CSU has a polling place located on campus that will be open today from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Go stand in line — bring a water bottle so as to not to get dehydrated; it might be a long line — cast your vote and meets us at Party After the Polls!

P.S. Since I am not a U.S. citizen and I am not able to vote, don’t waste your right and vote for us who are silent.

Lucia Papureanu is a senior political science major and the executive assistant for the president of ASCSU. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.