Authors: Madeline Novey

In the mid-day sunlight on the Lory Student Center Plaza Monday, 19 members of the student government and Vote CSU! led in a flash mob, lying on the ground to spell out the word ‘VOTE’ with their bodies, encouraging passersby to join the ranks of student voters today.

Members of the non-partisan voter coalition Vote CSU! said they wanted to do something different on the eve of Election Day to get people “energized” about the process of voting.

The flash mob, a large group of people who assemble in a public place and perform an unusual action to increase awareness about an issue, was their solution.

“I think it’s easy for people to get frustrated about the process of the election,” said Andrew Ives, a flash mob coordinator and member of Ram Leadership, a branch of the Associated Students of CSU.

“This got the word out there — the word ‘vote’ out there.”

“Looking at the people on the ground and having to step across their bodies as they walked through the plaza — it left a question in (the observers’) minds,” he said.

Tonight, ASCSU will celebrate the student vote in the 2008 election once more when they and other campus organizations host Party After the Polls to honor the voters.

The goal, officials said, is to bring the students and faculty of CSU together to await the results in an “open, non-partisan atmosphere.”

ASCSU departments, the Interfraternity Council, Multiculture Greek Council and Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. are sponsoring the event, which will be held from 6 p.m. to 2 a.m. tonight at CB & Potts, a family-owned restaurant and brewery on West Elizabeth Street.

Adesuwa Elaiho, the assistant director of the department of Student Services for ASCSU, said that representatives from MTV confirmed that MTV will have a presence at the party, with the intent of “probing the audience” to bring students to fill their Total Request Live audience in New York.

Event coordinators within ASCSU said that the event was designed to bring politically-concerned CSU community members together to “discuss the drama of Election Day results and developments,” celebrate candidate victories or “just rejoice in the lull in political ads on TV.”

“A lot of people are passionate about the campaigns,” Elaiho said.

“And while some of them were not on the top five to get into the big campaign parties, we’re hoping they come celebrate the culmination of the entire season.”

The event is free and open to the public and will feature free food and drinks, door prizes, a D.J and balloon drop and toast with the announcement of the final results.

Senior Reporter Madeline Novey can be reached at news@collegian.com.