Authors: Sean Star

Since an awkward, emotional divorce from the university last year, Sonny Lubick has kept himself fairly busy.

The state has designated a day (Feb. 8) in his honor. He’s continued his involvement in local charity work. He’s recorded a commercial for and speaks publicly on behalf of the Public Service Credit Union. And for the first time ever, he’s gotten to watch his son, Matt Lubick, coach football at Arizona State.

As Sonny says, “I haven’t really had the chance to sit still.”

Lubick was at it again last week, as a restaurant named after him, Sonny Lubick Steakhouse, opened in downtown Fort Collins.

So it seems there’s plenty of places for Lubick’s heart to rest now that coaching football is not part of his life.

In the words of Lee Corso, not so fast my friend.

Sure, he loves the public speaking, and contributing to the community is great. But there’s one thing he still loves more than any other — coaching.

That’s right. Memo to any team with a vacancy, Sonny Lubick still wants to coach.

“I would certainly entertain an offer. I think probably if truth be told, that’s probably what I do best,” he said. “… I just like being with the players, the coaches. I’ve done that all my life. So I think if you’ve done something 40 years and still love it and have a passion for it, that’s more my gift than doing a lot of other things. I know I could be a real asset to someone.”

It’s hard to blame him.

When you’re that good at something, as Lubick is at coaching college football, it makes sense that restaurants and credit unions would be rather unsatisfying.

That’s not to say his first fall outside coaching has been completely void.

“I have for the first time in many years enjoyed the chance to come home at 3 o’clock, 4 o’clock and see the weather, especially the last couple weeks how beautiful it’s been — never really had a chance to notice that before when my focus was on the football season,” he said.

And when he’s not soaking in the sun of an Indian Summer, Lubick tends to the needs of his ailing mother in California and mother-in-law in Montana.

Since last Thanksgiving, he’s made a combined eight trips to care for them, visits he perhaps might not have been able to make had he still been coaching.

“With all those things going on I guess in a way maybe God is trying to say something,” he said.

Come April, Lubick will be busy again, getting inducted into the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame.

It will be a chance, perhaps, for the coach to look back on his time at CSU — something he has yet to take the time to do.

“People always say, ‘you’ve done this, and you’ve done that.’ One doesn’t really think about it that way,” he said. “You just enjoy being with your players, being with the coaches. But I’ve heard a lot of people say how much time I’ve spent and how nice it was, what kind of impact I had. But I never look at it that way,” he said.

Sports columnist Sean Star can be reached at sports@collegian.com.