Authors: Jim Sojourner

With just one day remaining before the election, the CSU College Republicans and the Campaign for Change are putting forth one last effort to get voters to polls and to push for their candidates, Sen. John McCain and Sen. Barack Obama respectively.

Both campaigns said they will continue the strategies they’ve employed throughout the campaign season, but rally for an exceptional push in the final two days.

Collin Czarnecki, a volunteer team leader for the Obama’s Campaign for Change at CSU, said the Obama campaign just opened up a second office on Elizabeth Street and will continue to make phone calls to people across northern Colorado.

In addition, Czarnecki said volunteers will continue to have a large presence on the Lory Student Center Plaza, with at least five to 10 volunteers on campus at any one time — all in an effort to get last-minute voters to their polling places on Tuesday.

“We’re trying to get that last amount of energy and effort out,” Czarnecki said. “This election is far too important to not be a part of. It’s going to change our future regardless of who wins.”

Chelsea Penoyer, chair of the CSU College Republicans, said her campaign will be pursuing a similar strategy over the next two days.

Penoyer said a deployment of Generation Joshua, a Christian youth organization that aims to encourage young people to become involved in politics, will be at the Republican Victory office in Fort Collins helping make phone calls across the area.

“We’re encouraging people to get out there and remember to vote,” Penoyer said. “This election is crucial, and just by a few votes, a lot can change.”

Additionally, she said volunteers will be going door to door at selected houses to deliver literature that will give residents information on all the candidates and issues in one package.

“There’s a lot of work to be done,” Penoyer said. “This election can change a lot of things for years to come for our futures and our kids’ futures.”

Penoyer expressed some concern that the number of mail-in ballots received thus far has been lower than initially predicted. Stephanie Mueller, state communications director for the Obama campaign, said offices across the state will be making calls to encourage mail-in voters to mail their ballots as soon as possible.

Despite a commitment from both campaigns to fight to the end, the Obama campaign said they were confident, while McCain supporters said they were maintaining composure in the face of opposition.

“We’re really confident,” Czarnecki said. “Not to the fact where we’re overconfident. We definitely realize there’s still work to do.”

“It’s exciting, stressful, nerve-racking, all at the same time,” Penoyer said. “You put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into something that’s over in just a few hours.”

Penoyer said that despite the odds that McCain seems to be up against, she is still confident.

“I’m still really positive. I still think we can pull it off,” she said.

Despite her thoughts that a Democratic win is assured, Mueller said, the Obama campaign is not taking a break before Election Day.

“We always expected it to be a close race. We think it’s going to be close, but we have a really good feeling about our operation, and we are confident that Coloradans will vote for change on Tuesday,” Mueller said.

Senior Reporter Jim Sojourner can be reached at news@collegian.com.