Authors: Justin Warren

The CSU women’s golf team concluded their 2008 fall season, finishing their last tournament tied for 11th place in the Las Vegas Collegiate Showdown in Boulder City, Nev. Wednesday.

The Rams shot five over par for the tournament on the par-72, 6,238 yard Boulder Creek Golf Club.

The Rams finished the first round Monday afternoon in 16th place but rebounded with Stefanie Ferguson’s three under par second-round performance to finish Tuesday’s round with a team total of one under par.

“Stefanie is a senior, and she really stepped up for us today,” said head coach Angie Hopkins after Tuesday’s round.

On Wednesday, the entire team improved their play, shooting a CSU single round record of six under par.

“I’m very pleased with the way this team battled back after a slow start to this tournament,” coach Hopkins said. “Playing a round like this in such a strong field shows our team that they can compete with the top programs in the country and will only give us confidence in the spring season.”

This tournament was the toughest for the Rams so far this year, as they had to face seven nationally ranked teams.

The top five finishers for the tournament were Pepperdine in first with a 41 under par, No. 5 Oklahoma State finishing second and shooting 29 under par, Louisville in third with a 23 under par, unranked UNLV taking fourth and shooting 19 under par, and Washington rounding out the top five with a 12 under par.

The 11th place finish this week was the only tournament this season in which the Rams found themselves outside of the top ten.

In the previous four tournaments, the Rams have finished eighth, fifth, fourth and seventh.

“Overall, I think we had a very good fall season,” said coach Hopkins. “The team has improved every day, but we need to work on our first round playing.”

The Rams will not start competition again until Feb. 15 next year, when they will travel back to Boulder City, Nev., to play in the Aztec Spring Invitational.

“It’s nice to get a little break,” said coach Hopkins. “We will get some time to work on some things like our putting and then begin the spring season.”

Golf beat reporter Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.