Our View: Vote Betsy Markey

We hate to say it, but there are fewer reasons to vote for Democrat Betsy Markey for the Colorado 4th Congressional District seat this year than there are reasons to NOT vote for incumbent Rep. Marilyn Musgrave, R-Colo.

There are a multitude of reasons to oppose Musgrave, from her vehement opposition of abortion and gay marriage to her stance on immigration reform and her support of lowered taxes for “those who earn (money).” She’s radically conservative to such an extent that Rolling Stone called her the Congresswoman that’s “made regulating the bedroom behavior of her fellow Americans the focus of her entire career.”

Markey, when compared to Musgrave, seems to be the voice of reason in determining how our state will pursue the issues that face us, most specifically in her willingness to “support civility” in the discussion even of subjects she opposes, like amnesty for illegal immigrants.

Having worked as regional director for Sen. Ken Salazar, D-Colo., Markey has supported alternative energy solutions, supports limited funding to war efforts in Iraq and favors extending healthcare and raising the minimum wage.

However, as students, the most compelling reason to vote for Markey over Musgrave is her dedication to higher education. While Musgrave has been to the CSU campus . well, not at all in recent memory, Markey has visited three times just in the past two weeks. She’s for lowering student loan interest rates, increasing Pell Grant money and looking for ways to help universities combat costs.

And that’s enough to persuade us to vote against the candidate who’s voted with Bush almost 90 percent of her time in office.