Authors: Sean Star

Kory Sperry’s three-touchdown performance in the Rams’ 38-34 victory at San Diego State Saturday night proved again why many consider the senior tight end a promising NFL prospect.

At 6-feet-6 and 250 pounds, Sperry appears physically well-equipped to contribute at the sport’s highest level. But with a month to go in the season, he might want to work his dance moves- that is if he takes any tips from Joey Porter or David Anderson, former Rams now in the NFL who on Sunday turned in a pair of impressive performances.

Anderson, a wide receiver for the Houston Texans, caught his second career touchdown pass in his team’s 35-6 win over Cincinnati. After hauling in the six-yard pass, CSU’s all-time leader in receiving yards and touchdown receptions broke out in a routine that would make him a worthy contestant on “Dancing with the Stars,” rocking his hips side to side as if he were at a club.

The dance was equally surprising as it was impressive, considering Anderson’s rather humble demeanor during his time here in the Fort.

Andre Johnson, Anderson’s teammate and fellow receiver, was asked after the game if he was “worried” about Anderson’s dance moves.

“No. I’m not worried about that,” Johnson was quoted as saying on the Texans’ Web site. “David’s a real funny guy. He fits in well with his teammates.”

End zone celebrations aside, Anderson, whose 28 receiving yards Sunday were 22 more than he had this season entering the game, said after the game that it felt good to contribute to his team’s win.

“It always makes you feel better, you know, when you go out there and get to make a couple of plays, score a touchdown,” he said. “You just feel a lot more part of the game, like you helped win.”

While Anderson was helping the Texans beat the pitiful Bengals, Porter was leading his Miami Dolphins to an upset win over division-leading Buffalo.

Porter continued to build his case to be the NFL’s comeback player of the year with another dominating performance Sunday, adding two sacks to up his league-leading total to 10.5, doubling his total form last year, after which many thought his best days were behind him.

And while Anderson’s dance may have been a bit unexpected, Porter seems to break out his moves after what seems like every other tackle. He’s even dubbed one “The Flywheel,” according to the Boston Globe. To me, his sack dance is the best in the league now that Shawne Merriman is out.

Porter’s resurgence coincides with the rebuilding of the Dolphins, who at 3-4 have already improved on last year’s win total three times over – a turnaround that, say, a team like the CSU Rams are seeking.

At 4-4 after Saturday’s win, first-year coach Steve Fairchild has his team in a position to make a move up the conference standings and become bowl eligible with a month to go. Of the four remaining games, CSU could easily win three of them.

So maybe it’s best Sperry works on catching more TDs instead of his dance moves. Those can wait till after the season, I suppose.

Sports columnist Sean Star can be reached at sports@collegian.com.