Sen. Obama coming to CSU

Authors: Collegian Staff Report

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama will visit CSU Sunday at 3:30 p.m., a student government official confirmed Thursday.

Taylor Smoot, the president for the Associated Students of CSU, said the Obama visit will be a “monumental event” as the first presidential campaign visit at CSU.

“I think it is great to have any presidential candidate come to campus,” Smoot said.

Public access to the rally, which will be on the Oval will open at 1:30 p.m., according to an Obama campaign press release.

It will be the first Obama visit to northern Colorado.

———–

The following information is from a letter from Chief D. Yarbrough, Associate Vice President of the Department of Public Safety and Chief of Colorado State University Police.

Gates to the event will open to pedestrian traffic only at 1:30 p.m. at the intersection of University Avenue and West Drive, south of the Administration Building

Please do not bring bags and please limit personal items. Signs or banners are not allowed. No pets are allowed. Water will be provided at the event.

Building closures

All buildings immediately surrounding the Oval will be closed at 8 p.m. Saturday and will remain closed through about 7 p.m. on Sunday. Impacted buildings are:

– Weber, although students will be allowed access to the computer lab through the west entrance. All other entrances into and out of the building will be closed, and police will be posted at the West entrance for traffic control and security.

– Danforth Chapel.

– Ammons Hall

– Music Building

– Statistics

– Wagar

– Administration Building

– Guggenheim

– Preconstruction Center

– Laurel Hall

– Occupational Therapy

– Johnson Hall

– Industrial Sciences Laboratory

– Gibbons Hall

– Occupational Therapy Annex

Road closures and car towing

Road closures will begin at 8 p.m. Saturday, with the exception of Oval Drive, which will be closed at 5 a.m. Saturday.

Cars not removed from these areas will be towed beginning at 8 p.m. Saturday on all streets with the exception of Oval Drive. Cars not removed from Oval Drive will be towed beginning at noon on Saturday. No parking is allowed on these streets during the event. For information about cars that are towed, contact the Colorado State University Police Department at 970-491-6425.

Red roads closed:

Green roads open:

Blue road disabled/elderly access:

Impacted roads are:

– Oval Drive (closed at 5 a.m. Saturday)

– Mason Street will be closed from Laurel Street to University Avenue

– East Drive will be closed from Oval Drive to University Avenue

– West Drive will be closed from Oval Drive to University Avenue

– Music Drive will be closed to Oval Drive

– Isotope Drive will be closed from Center Avenue to Oval Drive

– Rembrandt Drive will be closed from Laurel Street to Old Main Drive

– Old Main Drive will be closed from College Avenue to Oval Drive

A drop-off location for disabled and elderly will be available along University Avenue near West Drive. Cars dropping off individuals will not be allowed to park in the immediate area. Cars with a disability placard or plate are allowed to park in lot 440 at University and Mason.

Parking lot closures

Cars not removed from these areas will be towed beginning at 8 p.m. Saturday on all streets with the exception of Oval Drive. Cars not removed from parking areas along Oval Drive will be towed beginning at noon on Saturday. No parking is allowed in these lots during the event. For information about cars that are towed, contact the Colorado State University Police Department at 970-491-6425.

The following parking lots will be closed at 8 p.m. Saturday:

– 330

– 332

– 335

– 324

– 325

– 322

– 323

– 327

– 348

– 345

– 320 (Oval Drive)

– 352 (East Drive)

– 354 (West Drive)

– 315

– 155

– 160

– 165

– 170

– 349

– 350

– 317

A parking map outlining the location of these lots is available at http://parking.colostate.edu/files/maps/mapside.pdf

Cars with a disability placard or plate are allowed to park in lot 440 at University and Mason.

Suggested transportation and parking alternatives

The Obama for America campaign is encouraging alternative transportation to the campus area, as well as car pooling, walking from a reasonable distance, and riding a bike. Limited parking on campus is available south of University Drive and east of Center Avenue. Parking is not available between the Oval and College Avenue.

Off-campus parking is available north of Laurel Street and east of College Avenue.

Bike racks are available on campus in multiple locations.

Transfort will also be developing a special route for the event. Details will be posted at http://www.fcgov.com/.