Authors: Caleb Thornton

With only two weeks left until Election Day, you all have probably heard just about everything you ever wanted or did not want to hear about either candidate in this year’s election.

Honestly, my guess is that the vast majority of you have already made up your minds on who you are going to vote for, and nothing that I, or anyone else for that matter, say is likely going to change that.

If what I said describes you, then I urge you first and foremost to get out there and vote early. Lines on Election Day are going to be ridiculous, but if you vote now you’ll be in and out as fast as you can fill out that ballot.

However, if you are still one of the few undecided voters, then I would like to address the few misconceptions that are commonly held with the Obama and McCain campaigns, in the hopes that you’ll have the confidence to vote Conservative come Election Day.

One of the biggest issues that moderates seem to have with the McCain campaign is the perception that by adding Sen. John McCain’s running mate, Gov. Sarah Palin — a perceived far-right, fundamentalist, idiotic, militaristic Republican who probably eats babies when she runs out of Captain Crunch — McCain is suddenly becoming a hard-right conservative himself.

It’s because of this perception that moderates seem unwilling to vote for the McCain camp, afraid that he and his running mate are going to be four more years of the same Bush policy that we have seen since the turn of the century.

The fact is nothing could be further from the truth.

Honestly, if you are looking to vote for a moderate in this campaign then McCain is your candidate; take it from someone who knows what it means to be a right-wing conservative, McCain is, has been and will always be a moderate, no matter what his campaign or Sen. Barack Obama’s says.

Another misconception that must be addressed is the idea that because this financial crisis happened with Republicans in power, it must be Republican’s fault. I even heard a comment made in a class of mine not too long ago that Ronald Reagan is to blame for the situation that we’re in today.

The fact of the matter is that there is plenty of blame to go around. Congress, presidential administrations, Wall Street, etc. all hold some measure of responsibility. But let’s face it, had people taken out mortgages that they could afford and paid back those mortgages, we would not be in the situation we are in today.

Bush did not do this, conservatives did not do this, heck even liberals did not do this, so don’t let that issue get in the way when you think about voting for McCain on Election Day.

However, the biggest misconception in this election may be the entire theme of the Obama campaign.

Barack Obama has built his election around the idea of, “change for America,” with overtures and inspirational speeches spewed out by the man, nay, the messiah himself on a daily basis describing how he will rescue you, the disparate, downtrodden and broken people of this nation from the greatest depths of grief and despair.

What is so ironic here is that absolutely nothing is going to change. Barack Obama is going to play within the same political confines as every one of his predecessors; the only difference is that the liberal media will give him a pass, at least for the first few years.

So when you vote on Election Day, don’t vote in favor of some vague notion of change, look at the facts, make an informed decision and I truly believe you will come out making the right choice.

At least, I certainly hope so.

Caleb Thornton is a senior political science major. His column appears Thursdays in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.