Authors: Jim Sojourner

The CSU College Republicans threw Meghan McCain, daughter of Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain, a birthday party in the Ramskeller Wednesday morning to encourage students to vote and to excite the student body about the upcoming election.

McCain, who is 24 years old as of today, arrived with her “blogette” crew and met with students in the Ramskeller from 11-12 a.m., said Chelsea Penoyer, president of the CSU College Republicans.

“Everyone was waiting to see her,” Penoyer said, adding that even a few non-Republican students waited to see McCain.Penoyer said the McCain campaign contacted the College Republicans earlier this week and asked CSU if they would hold a birthday party for Meghan McCain.

Although they were on short notice, Penoyer said the College Republicans were able to get a cake and a disc jockey for the party, along with a ten-foot tall card for McCain in the bar.

The card was available on the plaza for students to sign before the party and the DJ, Robert Krueger, said all he required as payment for the event was a photo with McCain.

Ted Mast, a senior journalism and technical communication major who attended the party, said he enjoyed the opportunity to meet with McCain.

“It was really cool that she was able to come out here on her birthday,” Mast said. “She didn’t just walk around and shake people’s hands and leave. She was really willing to talk about the things we wanted to talk about.”

President of the Associated Students of CSU Taylor Smoot said he did not think the McCain’s presence didn’t have any real importance, saying that she was really there to just hang out rather than discuss campaign issues.

Smoot said he and although her appearance may energize the Republican base on campus, he doubts it will have any real effect on the election.

“I would hope that CSU students vote on the issues, not on if a candidates’ child comes to campus,” Smoot said. “I don’t think it’s a bad thing, but I don’t think it will change anything.”

Smoot added that given Colorado’s position as a potential swing state in the upcoming election, he is surprised he has not seen more campaigning for John McCain at CSU.

“I have not seen the McCain camp on campus until really the last week,” Smoot said.

Penoyer agreed that the McCain campaign has not had many high profile people on campus and said that students were “pumped and motivated” to finally see someone.

“I’m happy and thankful,” Penoyer said. “It’s just a nice boost for everyone who came.”

Senior Reporter Jim Sojourner can be reached at news@collegian.com.CTV reporters Angelica Riley and Nic Tapia contributed to this story.