Authors: Justin Warren

The CSU men’s golf team concluded their fall season with another victory, winning their fourth tournament of the year in the Sycuan Collegiate Invitational in San Diego, Calif.

The Rams finished the tournament shooting 837 and 27 under par as a team on the 6,687 yead, par-72 Willow Glen Golf Course.

“All of the players played well,” said head coach Jamie Bermel. “Bryce had a solid finish and Zahkai Brown played great again.”

The Rams finished the first two rounds Monday afternoon in second place, six shots behind leader San Diego.

But with solid play from the team in the final round Tuesday afternoon, the Rams were able to pass San Diego for the victory by shooting seven under par as a team.

“We have a lot of experience on this team,” Bermel said. “They feed off each other and really come together the final round making them tough to beat.”

The top five finishers behind the Rams were UC Santa Barbara in second shooting 26 under par, San Diego in third shooting 25 under par, Denver in fourth at 23 under par, and Washington State in fifth shooting 16 under par.

Bryce Hanstad concluded the tournament with another top five performance, finishing in second place and shooting 12 under par overall.

Zahkai Brown continued to impress, finishing 10th at six under par.

The Rams will now have four months until they resume play in the UNC Duel in Phoenix, Ariz., on Feb. 2, 2009, but will not compete in their first tournament of 2009 until the John A.

Burns Collegiate Invitational in Honolulu, Hawaii on Feb. 18 through Feb. 20.

“We are going to have a break and recharge the batteries,” Bermel said. “We will be doing some light practicing and resume regular practices in January.”

Bermel said the four victories of the fall season will keep his team focused and give it momentum for the spring season.

“This was a really nice way for us to end the fall season,” Bermel said. “This will really motivate us and keep our guys focused as we prepare for a tough schedule in the spring.”

Golf beat writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.