Authors: Kate Bennis

Throughout the presidential campaign, the future of American energy policy has been a consistent theme of both Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama and Republican candidate Sen. John McCain.

The Collegian set out this week to get to the bottom of this issue and find out what students at the “green” university think about it.

Lauren Wyatt, a freshman undeclared major, thinks that Obama has a better plan to steer America toward energy independence.

Q: How big of a role do you think energy policy will play in the upcoming presidential election?

A: Not as much is it needs to. We just keep blowing up smokescreens on trivial things than the bigger issues.

Q: Which candidate’s policy do you support?

A: At this point, more Obama’s than McCain’s. His seems to have a bit more thought put into it.

Q: What strategy would you like to see the government take to solve this issue?

A: I think it’s really important that we work on alternative fuels that don’t hurt the environment as much, and break up some of the power that oil companies are currently exerting.

Q: Would you vote for Amendment 58, which proposes to end tax subsidies provided to oil and gas companies in Colorado?

A: I’d rather read the Amendment myself before giving a final answer on that.

Cole Estes, a senior history and German literature major, was kind enough to sit down with the Collegian and explain why McCain’s policy would be a more effective one.

A: It’s been foreshadowed that the economy’s in crisis right now. It should be a big deal but it isn’t because the economy is in shambles.

A: I support McCain’s. I think Obama has less experience in the situation. I think McCain’s plan has a quick fix but also a long-term plan as well.

A: Personally I’d like to see them do more wind and solar because we’ve got the open space for it here.

A: I voted against that one. If we scare them away, that’s them taking their money and interest out of Colorado to a different state. You have to want to encourage bigger businesses to come to your state, because the people that the bigger businesses are bringing to pick up jobs are going to increase the income and sales tax and that will make up for not taxing the bigger company. That will also prevent having them pass on that tax increase and it will avoid hurting the consumer, so you can just avoid that in general.

Staff writer Kate Bennis can be reached at letters@collegian.com.