Authors: Justin Warren

Friday afternoon, the men’s golf team captured yet another tournament win in the Del Walker Intercollegiate at the Virginia Country Club in Long Beach, Calif.

The victory was the Rams’ third win in the four tournaments they have competed in this year.

“We have had consistent play all this year,” said head coach Jamie Bermel. “No one has played poorly in the four matches.”

The Rams, who won at the same course last year, set a new tournament record by shooting 41 under par and 811 as a team on the par-71 course, finishing 23 strokes ahead of second place.

The rest of the top-five finishers were second place UC-Irvine at 18 under par, third place Long Beach State at 10 under par, fourth place Pacific at four under par and fifth place Texas-San Antonio at even par.

The freshman Zahkai Brown dominated the tournament by finishing first in the individual standings with a 17 under par performance and tying a CSU school record in the second round, shooting eight under par.

“He defiantly did not play like a freshman,” said coach Bermel of Brown. “He was very poised and he did not make mistakes.”

However, Brown’s performance was not the only contribution to the tournament win.

Dustin Morris finished tied for second after shooting seven under par. Bryce Hanstad stood alone in fourth place with a five under par, Zen Brown tied for sixth place shooting three under par and Riley Arp tied for 19th place shooting an even par.

“It was a really good win for us and all of the players played great,” said coach Bermel.

The Rams will not have much of a break, as they travel to San Diego, Calif., teeing off this Monday morning in their first ever appearance in the Sycuan Collegiate Invitational.

The team will be competing against 20 other teams at the Willow Glen Golf Course.

“We have never played this course before so we will need to be aggressive and continue our consistency,” coach Bermel said.

The Sycuan Collegiate Invitational will conclude Tuesday afternoon, ending the fall golf season for the men’s golf team.

Men’s golf beat writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.