Get out your cans, CSU

The generosity of our campus and city communities has been abundant this month with more than 45,000 cans being donated to CSU’s 21st annual Cans Around the Oval food drive.

The non-perishable items will be given to the Larimer County Food Bank.

On Thursday, a group of about 75 students made the commitment to experience real hunger first-hand; they used a mere $7 to purchase food for the next seven days.

They will get a glimpse of what it is like for millions of people around the world, some in our town, who simply go hungry every day.

Today, CSU will be celebrating our efforts by using the large amount of cans collected to build a world-record-breaking structure in front of the library for all to see. Upon completion, the sculpture will resemble a footprint creating ripples in a pond to signify the impact of our communities’ contributions.

The significance of the donations will be felt in Fort Collins and Larimer County this winter and beyond.

We’d like to applaud the efforts of our fellow students and neighbors who took time to volunteer or donate to the various food-drive collection events this past month. It is heartening to see our peers taking steps to understand and empathize with the struggles of others.

CSU, while we’ve done an excellent job this past month, let’s not forget that hunger doesn’t go away when the calendar turns to November. Hunger is an ever-present problem for many people.

Don’t stop the food-drive when Cans Around the Oval ends. Keep donating. Keep thinking about others.