Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

The CSU Rams are about to leave for a place fairly unfamiliar to them this season — the road.

The Ram’s have played four of six games within the friendly confines of Hughes Stadium this season and a fifth at a neutral location in Denver. CSU’s only real road test of the season came against the University of California in Berkley, a game the Rams lost 42-7. First-year head coach Steve Fairchild is confident that his team is ready.

“I think we are,” the former Rams’ quarterback said. “All we are doing every week is practicing and trying to get better.”CSU is scheduled to begin their two-game road trip Saturday as they head to Salt Lake City to face the University of Utah.

The Rams are slated to continue on the road the following week, taking on San Diego State University Nov. 25. Defensive Coordinator Larry Kerr is expecting nothing less than a tough environment from the Utes this weekend. “Going to Utah is going to be a challenge,” he said.

“They are a very good football team but you just have to take it one game at a time.”

Wide receiver Dion Morton agreed with Kerr, adding that any time the Rams leave Fort Collins, it becomes more difficult. CSU has had troubles on the road recently, posting a 4-14 record the past four seasons. “Any away game is hard, especially when the team is ranked and I’m pretty sure the crowd is going to be hostile,” Morton, a junior, said.

“You can’t really focus on that, though. You just have to stay within yourself and our group. As long as we do that, we will be fine.” The Utes come into the match up with a perfect record and a No. 14 ranking nationally. Kerr explained that it’s an ideal situation to upset a team, especially on the road. “Nothing is better than going in and stealing their thunder,” he said. “That’s the mentality I want our guys to have. There is no fear, so just go play. That what we want to do.”

Kickoff on Saturday is scheduled for noon.

Football beat reporter Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com.