Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

Klay Kubiak entered the game from the bench for the second time this season as the CSU Rams lost to TCU Saturday afternoon. Head coach Steve Fairchild pulled starting quarterback Billy Farris from the game midway through the third quarter, handing over the CSU offense to Kubiak, a redshirt freshman.

Kubiak explained that he felt prepared when Fairchild called him to duty.

“I was ready to go,” he said. “He (Fairchild) told me to get ready to go, so I had to spend a little time figuring out the situations and how much time was left. My thought process was to protect football, manage the offence and go win the game. That’s all I had time to think about.”

Kubiak’s numbers on the day were slightly better than Farris’, completing 12 of 24 passes for 121 yards, but he was sacked five times with one interception and two fumbles. Farris finished the day 5 of 11 for 67 yards, one interception and one sack.

Kubiak gave credit to TCU’s defense and said he expected the Horned Frogs to bring pressure.

“They are just great athletes,” he said. “I think I got a little deep in my drop a couple of times and could have stepped up. They didn’t do anything to special, they just play good sound defense.”

Wide receiver Dion Morton was pleased with how Kubiak did, considering the situation the Rams were in.

“He did really well and he did good against Cal to,” the junior said. “I have confidence in Klay. He knows where to put the ball and when to put it there.”

Sports writer Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com.