Chorus to perform tonight

Authors: Kelli Pryor

Sweet melodies and dissonant harmonies will fill the Griffin Concert Hall tonight when the CSU Chorus and Women’s Chorus take the stage for their fall performance.

The Women’s Chorus and the University Chorus will perform a wide variety of pieces.

The Women’s Chorus will include a piece by Mozart in French, as well as a piece without accompaniment, known as a cappella.

The University Chorus will sing a piece called “Animal Crackers,” by Eric Whitacre and a piece by Mozart, said Nathan Payant, conductor of the University Chorus.

This will be the first of four concerts, two each semester, that the choirs will perform throughout the year.

The 24 members of the audition-only Women’s Chorus practice twice weekly for their upcoming performances, said Austen Wilson, conductor of the chorus.

The University Chorus is a non-audition chorus open to any CSU student interested in singing, no experience necessary, Payant said. The 85 member chorus also practices twice weekly.

Payant urged any students interested in joining the University Chorus to do so, saying that 90 percent of members are not music majors.

Both conductors encouraged students to come see the performance.

“I know the students have worked very hard and are going to give a great performance that I think everyone will enjoy,” Wilson said.

Payant agreed.

“Music is a great outlet for people to listen and enjoy the music. People would benefit by going [to the concert],” Payant said.

The performance will take place in the Griffin Concert Hall in the new University Center of the Arts, which opened this year, at 1400 Remington St.

The concert starts tonight at 7:30 p.m., and the cost is $5 dollars for Colorado State students and youth ages 6 to 17 and $10 for the general public.

Tickets are available at the Campus Box Office in the Lory Student Center, as well as online at www.csutix.com.

Staff writer Kelli Pryor can be reached at verve@collegian.com.