Homecoming Week continues

Authors: Taylor Smoot, Matthew Helmer

Beginning with the Lupe Fiasco and Three 6 Mafia concert on Sunday, and featuring the Rail Jam on the Plaza Wednesday, Homecoming festivities continue with more than 30 related activities taking place at CSU this week as we celebrate the university, its students, alumni, faculty, staff, friends and neighbors.

A new take on an old tradition begins on Friday with the new and improved Homecoming Parade themed “It is Easy Being Green!” We encourage students and the entire campus community to watch the parade and support your university.

This year’s parade is different: The Homecoming and Family Weekend Steering Committee sought feedback on how to improve the parade and entire weekend for the campus community.

Students told us they have previously felt disconnected from the parade, and that getting up on Saturday morning to be downtown by 7 a.m. was simply not going to work.

The idea for moving the parade to Friday actually came from a CSU student. You talked, and we listened.

This year’s parade begins Friday at 5 p.m. downtown at the intersection of Howes St. and Mountain Ave.

The parade runs south on Howes, but now (for the first time in decades) enters the CSU campus at the Oval, crosses the Plaza and ends at the West Lawn of the Lory Student Center.

And, that’s where a new tradition begins — a community-wide festival celebrating CSU and featuring live music, food, a pep rally, games, a bonfire and fireworks.

Students, faculty and staff all can receive tickets for free food at the event — just stop by the Campus Box Office in the Lory Student Center today or tomorrow with your university ID.

CSU students have embraced the parade change. Of the approximately 80 floats and entries in this year’s Homecoming parade, 40 are from CSU, and more than 30 by student organizations.

This is a tremendous improvement over last year’s CSU entries, which totaled less than 10. Join us and see how this year’s parade participants live up to the theme: “It is Easy Being Green!”

The community-wide Homecoming Festival on the Lory Student Center West Lawn begins about 6:30 p.m. Friday, immediately following the parade.

A pep rally, featuring Rams football coach Steve Fairchild and volleyball coach Tom Hilbert, and members of their teams, will kick off the festivities.

The evening will conclude with the bonfire and lighting of the “A.”

Homecoming and Family Weekend is highlighted by the Saturday afternoon football game, which pits the Rams against Mountain West Conference rival TCU.

Kickoff at Sonny Lubick Field at Hughes Stadium is at 1:30 p.m. RamTown begins at the stadium at 10:30 a.m.

The Colorado State volleyball team, ranked 13th in the nation, will play two matches against conference foes — tonight at 7 p.m. against TCU and Sunday afternoon at 1 p.m. against New Mexico.

Both matches are at Moby Arena. The annual Homecoming 5K Race begins at 8 a.m. on Saturday on the historic CSU Oval and is open to all families, alumni and community members.

There are many great opportunities to cheer on the Rams and celebrate your university over the next few days. Visit the Homecoming Web site at www.homecoming.colostate.edu for a full list of events and detailed information.

We invite and encourage you to come out and show your Ram Pride throughout Homecoming and Family Weekend, and we praise the efforts of student groups and departments across campus that have worked countless hours to make this year’s celebration bigger and better.

We hope you will join us as we kickoff the weekend with the Homecoming Parade and Festival on Friday and celebrate this great university together.

Go Rams!

Taylor Smoot, a senior political science major and president of ASCSU, and Matthew Helmer, director of CSU Events, are members of the Homecoming and Family Weekend Steering Committee at CSU. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.