Authors: Adam Bohlmeyer

While two Rams have stepped back onto the football field, two others have been sidelined.

Linebacker Ricky Brewer and cornerback Brandon Owens are back practicing for the Rams after being pestered with injuries the past week.

Defensive coordinator Larry Kerr expects both to suit up for Saturday’s game against the Texas Christian Horned Frogs.

Brewer explained that he learned a lot from his time away from the action, and that it has increased his desire to play even more.

“You get to notice a lot when you are sitting on the sidelines,” the sophomore said. “The biggest thing I noticed is how much I love playing with this defense.”

Head coach Steve Fairchild said that having Brewer back in the lineup will have immediate benefits, especially against TCU.

“It really helps,” he said. “When you have Ricky (Brewer) and Mychal Sisson, those guys are fast enough to play in nickel situations.

They are athletic and when you are facing a team like TCU it helps to have them on the field.”

Brewer is the Rams’ second leading tackler this season, racking up 31 in four games played. On the other end of the injury spectrum lie safeties Klint Kubiak and Zack Donaldson. Both sat out of Wednesday afternoon’s practice with injuries and are listed as questionable for Saturday’s showdown with TCU.

Safety Jake Galusha is expected to replace Kubiak and Donaldson in the starting line up. Brewer is confident in the senior’s ability to get the job done.

“You couldn’t be more proud of the way guys have stepped up and filled some big shoes, he said. “Now Galusha is stepping up big time. To see that kind of depth makes me excited about what kind of defense we have.”

Injury report:

Donaldson – Neck Injury. Doubtful

Kubiak – Ankle injury. Questionable

Football beat reporter Adam Bohlmeyer can be reached at sports@collegian.com.