Authors: Kate Bennis

Last week, CSU students traversing the Lory Student Center Plaza were greeted with the unexpected sight of the anti-abortion protest hosted by pro-life group Justice for All.

The protest featured three large billboards displaying graphic images of aborted fetuses alongside information about potential health consequences and comparisons of the use of the procedure in America to genocide.

Brittany Javor, a sophomore business major, was kind enough to sit down with the Collegian and share her views on abortion and the protest on the plaza last week.

Q: Do you identify yourself as pro-life or pro-choice?

A: Pro-life, but I understand the other side of the spectrum — although I don’t agree with it.

Q: Do you support the tactics of JFA, the group that staged the week-long billboard exhibit on the Plaza?

A: I support what they did. I don’t support how long they did it for. After the first day, it was kind of annoying and redundant. It forced people to become aware of the not-so-glamorous side of abortion, and it forced people to express their opinions about abortion. I liked how much it allowed people to express their opinions in different ways, such as the free-speech board. It gave people the opportunity to speak their opinion without being afraid.

Q: Should JFA have been permitted to display graphic images on the plaza?

A: I would say yes; they weren’t really doing anything wrong, they were just giving people the facts. The images were graphic, but they showed all the pictures and facts of abortion and left the public

to interpret it whichever way they

wanted to.

Q: To what extent do you think abortion will be an issue in the upcoming presidential election?

A: I think it will be important, but not as important as other issues.

There are other factors such as clean energy and the war that are up there, too, but I think that people will take it into consideration when they vote. I don’t think that it will change the way people will vote, but it will affect the outcome somewhat.

———-

Meghan Haselden, a freshman zoology major sat down with the Collegian and offered her insights into why she why she disagrees with the message of JFA but thinks they were well within their rights to hold their protest.

A: Pro-Choice.

Q: Do you support the tactics of JFA, the group that staged the week-long billboard exhibit on the plaza?

A: I support their right to go and do it, but I think that their display of giant banners was a little overdone.

Q: Should JFA have been permitted to display graphic images on the Plaza?

A: It’s a public university, so legally, free speech has to be upheld in that area.

I think that there are better ways to get your message out to people.

A: It depends on what state you’re in. In some states, it’s a larger issue than others. For some people, that’s going to be a deciding factor, but for others it may not be as important.

Staff writer Kate Bennis can be reached at letters@collegian.com.