Authors: Lucia Papureanu

Reaching far beyond the traditional image of a fraternity and overcoming CSU’s decision to recognize them as a chapter, unaffiliated CSU fraternity Pi Kappa Alpha gives back to the community.

In a spirit of determination and zeal, PIKE has undertaken philanthropic ventures as the chapter’s defining mission and is preparing for its biggest semester yet. Determined to topple its last fall’s record number of 6,500 pounds of perishable foods donated to CSU’s Cans Around the Oval, PIKE is also firm in its decision to remain the top Greek organization in donations.

In 2007, PIKE’s donations exceeded the combined total of Greek Life’s other 16 organizations and ranked PIKE 3rd overall in the competition, said representatives of the fraternity. For PIKE, Cans Around the Oval is a chance to positively impact both the Fort Collins and campus community and to hold true to their philanthropic mission.

Despite the fact that it is not acknowledged by CSU as a student organization, PIKE has been recognized as the Most Improved Chapter in the Nation by their international organization (yes, they are an international fraternity) and awarded a Chapter Excellence Award for their impeccable achievements in the community.

“We have been able to strive toward our own goals and continue to operate as a dominant force, succeeding without being hindered by the university’s restrictions and restraints – thus making us stronger men working with the community in unison,” said T.J. Sheahen, a senior construction management major and former president of Pi Kappa Alpha.

The Associated Students of CSU recognizes PIKE as a potent and activist presence at CSU and values its commitment to give back to the community.

While actively mustering up forces to participate in Cans Around the Oval, ASCSU also challenges other chapters of Greek Life, as well as student organizations, to dedicate their own time and mission to philanthropy.

Since this annual food drive is a defining tradition of CSU, it is also an opportunity for Greek Life and student organizations to grow while engaging in a healthy competition and having a disregard for the impossible.

ASCSU calls upon all entities on campus, disregarding their affiliation, to actively engage in the collection of non- perishable goods for the greater good of the community.

Lucia Papureanu is a senior political major and executive assistant for the president of ASCSU. ASCSU writes a column that appears occasionally in the Collegian. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.