Authors: Justin Warren

At 9 a.m. today the Rams tennis team will begin competition in the Air Force Invitational in Colorado Springs.

So far this year the tennis team has performed well, with victories in four finals at the Wyoming Invitational and a win in the blackdraw round (a type of consolation round) in the BYU Invitational.

“I am pleased with how well everyone has been playing,” said head coach Jon Messick.

The Rams will be facing Colorado, Denver, Tulsa, Air Force, Wyoming and Northern Colorado in the two-day tournament.

Three of the six teams (Colorado, Denver and Tulsa) were nationally ranked last year, making this the toughest tournament for the Rams so far this fall season.

“If everyone keeps playing at the same level they have been competing at so far, we will have good success this week,” said coach Messick.

The Rams will have to play higher ranked individual opponents in the flights due to some injuries.

“We will have to send in some of our three to five players to compete against the other school’s ones and twos in this tournament,” said coach Messick. “This is not a bad thing because it will give those girls great experience for the spring tournaments.”

Coach Messick is already thinking ahead to the spring and is excited to see who can step up their play.

“Right now it is time to see who will be in the line-up for the spring,” said coach Messick.

There will be two rounds of doubles play today, followed by one round of singles this afternoon with the Rams finishing all rounds Saturday afternoon.

Last year the Rams had a great tournament, finishing the 2007 Air Force Invitational going 5-1 in doubles.

Tennis beat writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.