Authors: Johnny Hart

Two sexually violent predators, Homer Jimenez, 33, and Nathan Christensen, 29, were released Monday from the Colorado Department of Corrections into the community of Fort Collins.

In accordance with Colorado Statutes, Fort Collins Police Services informed community members and other law enforcement of the release Thursday at police headquarters on Timberline Road.

Both offenders checked into the halfway house at 2555 Midpoint Drive after being released from the DOC Monday and have not left the grounds since.

“Right now they’re under the most strict supervision that they could be under,” said a representative from the halfway house.

In 2002, Christensen admitted to having consensual sex with a 13-year-old female, and had past misdemeanor convictions in controlled substances and driving with ability impaired.

He violated his sentence of eight years probation and now is under parole after completing his sentence.

In 2006, Jimenez was convicted of sexual assault on a child and in a position of trust. He has two counts each of harassment, disorderly conduct and DWAI.

Both men are under the supervision of the Department of Parole and the halfway house. Jimenez is also under the supervision of the Department of Probation, and both men are said to be at high risk of re-offending.

The offenders will be allowed out to look for employment from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., but both must document where they are going, sign in and out of the house, and call when they get to the location.

They both will be followed via a global positioning system, which will monitor for areas that they are not allowed to travel to: any place that children are likely to be, routes traveling near schools or places with children, and anywhere they are not supposed to be.

They are also subjected to several policies such as searches without warrants, polygraph monitoring and mandatory sex offense treatment. They must also register with the sex offenders’ list and will not be allowed the following: drugs or alcohol with random weekly testing, binoculars or other vision enhancing devices, internet access or contact with victims.

According to bulletins from the FCPS, in Colorado there are currently 10,096 registered sex offenders, with approximately 200 being in Fort Collins. Of those 200, nine are currently in the halfway house at Midpoint Drive, and four of the 200 are sexually violent offenders.

A list of sexual offenders in Colorado can be found at http://sor.state.co.us.

Senior Reporter Johnny Hart can be reached at news@collegian.com.