Authors: Emily Carmichael

Do you avoid the rec. center because you feel uncomfortable around beefed-up guys or the “skinny” girls? Or are you bored by counting reps and gliding on the elliptical?

College is a time of experimentation, so why not mix up your usual workout routine? While moving your body can be fun, it also reaps improved health.

Exercise can be fun. Both outdoor and innovative indoor activities abound in Colorado, so take advantage of living in such a beautiful place, or seek out other creative activities.

The foothills and mountains are an excellent place to climb, bike, run or walk. It doesn’t matter if you’re a beginner or an expert; there are activities for everyone.

Here are some active outlets to try:

Hike/Bike/Climb: Horsetooth, Lory State Park, the “A.”

Easy Trails: Poudre trail, Spring Creek Trail.

Edora Park Frisbee Golf.

Climbing Gyms.

Skiing/Snowboarding.

Rollerblading.

Ropes Course.

Boating at Horsetooth.

Go dancing with that “special someone.”

Exercise doesn’t have to be dull, painful or extremely time-consuming.

Why not make a study break of playing ultimate frisbee or going for a short walk with friends?

To reduce your risk of chronic diseases, dietary guidelines recommend at least 30 minutes of physical activity most weekdays, and 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous activity to maintain weight (jogging to playing football).

If you want to take it up a notch and shed weight, aim for 60-90 minutes of moderate physical activity most weekdays and don’t exceed caloric requirements.

Colorado offers more than 300 days of sunshine a year, which means more than 300 opportunities to enjoy invigorating activities outside.

Enjoy the sun, cultivate friendships while playing a round of frisbee golf, feel good about yourself. Exercise, but have fun.

Emily Carmichael is a senior nutrition and food science major. Letters and feedback can be sent to letters@collegian.com.