Authors: kelly bleck

After its eighth season of entertaining viewers across America, “Last Comic Standing” is sending finalists to the Lincoln Center tonight.

A wide variety of stand-up finalists competed to make it to the national tour.

The five finalists, winner Iliza Shlesinger, Jim Tavare, Jeff Dye, Marcus and tour Master of Ceremonies Louis Ramey each have 20 minutes to amuse the crowd, showing off the skills that got them to the finals on one of America’s most watched TV shows.

“The shows are going fantastic,” Ramey said. “They’re either sold out, or very close to. Last night (Sept. 27) we were in Charlotte, North Carolina and of the 2,050 seats, there were 2,000 filled.”

The tour and other gigs were set up before any winners were announced.

But when the winners were announced, they were under contract to perform in the tour.

“I knew that I had signed it in agreement to do the shows, but I never imagined it would be this extensive,” Ramey said. “I had previously been all over Colorado mainly doing colleges, not so much comedy clubs. It’s a whole new experience; I’ve gotten a lot of fans I never would have without it.”

The tour is set to go until January with the comics visiting the Paramount Theater in Denver Oct. 3, the Vilar Center Arts in Beaver Creek Oct. 17 and the Wheeler Opera House in Aspen Jan. 18.

Traveling through so many different cities, from New Jersey to Connecticut to Colorado, the comedians must be on their toes to adequately aim their set content to each audience.

“We’re starting to find that different parts of the country laugh at different things,” Ramey said. “Some places we go are more conservative, some liberal, some have parents who bring their kids so we have to tone it down. ”

Staff writer Kelly Bleck can be reached at verve@collegian.com.