Authors: Justin Warren

The women’s golf team completed their first two rounds in Broomfield yesterday, finishing fifth among the 19 teams competing in the Heather Farr/CU Memorial Invitational.

“It was an overall great day for us,” said head coach Angie Hopkins. “Kasey (Claussen) is playing outstanding, Stefanie (Ferguson) bounced back from an 11 over par first round to finish an even par in the second, and Natalie (Stone) is playing very well.”

The current leader of the tournament is Notre Dame, who is an astonishing five under-par and shooting 571 as a team through the first two rounds on the par 72 course.

“Notre Dame will be hard to pass for the lead because we are 13 strokes back,” coach Hopkins said. “But we will give it our all tomorrow.”

Under Notre Dame sits Colorado, CSU-Long Beach and Texas Tech. The Rams sit in the fifth position, eight above par and shooting 584 as a team.

“I think we can finish in the top five in the final round tomorrow,” coach Hopkins said. “Our goal is to come out tomorrow and play like we did today.”

The Rams are teeing off this morning at 8:30 and concluding play sometime this afternoon.

“The girls are having fun playing so close to home and competing against some of their friends from CU,” coach Hopkins said.

Women’s golf beat writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.