Authors: Jim Sojourner

Editor’s note: This article was edited to correct a quote from Marty Coyne. The incorrect quote has been changed from “We’re at a time of record energy crisis right now,” to “We’re at a time of record energy prices right now.”

James Jones, CEO of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s Institute for 21st Century Energy, will present the “Blueprint for Securing America’s Energy Future” in Fort Collins today at 1:30 p.m. to address clean and sustainable technology in the face of America’s looming energy crisis.

“We all use and consume huge amounts of energy and that use more and more intersects with health and the environment,” said Morgan DeFoort, the associate director of CSU’s Engines and Energy Conversion Lab. “If we don’t have the technology we either have to cut down or deal with the negative side-effects.”

Jones’ presentation will take place in the Canyon West Room of the Lincoln Center at 1:30. Senators Wayne Allard and Ken Salazar and CSU President Larry Penley are expected to deliver remarks as well.

Emily Wilmsen, senior media and community relations director, said the event, hosted by CSU and the Fort Collins Chamber of Commerce, is non-partisan and being held by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce’s Institute for 21st Century Energy.

Marty Coyne, communications director for the Institute for 21st Century Energy, said America is in desperate need of a drastic energy program that will secure its energy future.

He said one of the major problems will be supply shortages in the foreseeable future, with energy consumption projected to rise as much as 30 percent by 2030.

“We’re at a time of record energy prices right now,” Coyne said.

Coyne said that up to this point, limited efforts to change energy consumption and emissions by the legislature have not been comprehensive enough.

“They’ve taken a piecemeal, shortsighted approach to solving energy problems. New fuel standards and biofuels just aren’t going to get it done,” Coyne said. “We need to sit down in a bi-partisan effort and produce something that is sweeping and sensible. Americans want real action.”

Coyne said that after considering a number of research institutions in the country to host the event, CSU was a “no brainer.”

DeFoort said the lab does research in all areas of energy; — everything from large industrial engines to household cooking devices in developing countries.

Coyne said labs such as the EECL are an important element of the energy future. Such institutions, he said, often have “a spillover effect, both in terms of research and application,” and students who help with research at labs often end up working, for example, as engineers for major car companies and help the commercial sector capitalize on energy technologies.

When that spillover effect is coupled with the new products that the EECL helps create for companies, Coyne said a partnership is formed between the research institution and the commercial sector.

“The business has a lot of confidence in what CSU is doing,” Coyne said.

He said the EECL’s entrepreneurial focus on getting solutions into the commercial market something that attracted the Institute for 21st Century Energy to CSU.

“If you want to keep energy resources affordable and reliable, you want a whole range of sources,” Coyne said. “By diversifying your energy sources, you put yourself in a position to maintain reliable, affordable and clean energy.”

Staff Writer Jim Sojourner can be reached at news@collegian.com.