Authors: Trevor Simonton

Democratic State Representatives John Kefalas and Randy Fischer joined a room packed with about 60 people at the Coloradoan’s Community Room Monday night to listen to and inform Fort Collins residents on one of the longest ballots in Colorado history.

The audience was made up of amendment campaign leaders, union leaders, business representatives, local voters and a handful of students there to discuss the 18 ballot initiatives with Kefalas and Fischer, who acted as moderators.

It was important that the representatives meet with Fort Collins locals to inform them of the ballot issues, because, Kefalas said, students will have a huge impact in determining the outcome of those issues this November.

“Students are a force to be reckoned with,” Kefalas. “These ballot measures are going to impact Colorado, and students will have a big impact on that.”

Kefalas said that he hopes students pay special attention to Amendment 58, because if passed, it will increase access to higher education in Colorado.

Most of the audience stayed for the full two hours of dialogue.

“I didn’t know what to expect. I’ve never been to anything like this before. I was just curious,” said Julie Aseltine, a junior at CSU studying environmental communications. Aseltine said she got an automated phone call from Kefalas that told her about the meeting.

Lara Adamson, Aseltine’s roommate and a campus feminist alliance member, agreed.

“It was incredible,” she said. “I didn’t know the ballot was so long.”

On the issues important to her, she said, “Definitely vote no on 48. It’s so ridiculous. It’s possibly the worst thing that could happen to women.”

Senior Reporter Trevor Simonton can be reached at news@collegian.com.