Authors: Justin Warren

This morning the women’s golf team, ranked No. 25 by Golfweek magazine, will compete in Broomfield, Colo., in the Heather Farr/CU Memorial.

“I think this will be a good tournament for the whole team,” said head coach Angie Hopkins. “The team has played the course before and anytime we are playing in Colorado, we feel like the home team.”

The Rams will face off against 20 teams, including tournament host Colorado, Northern Colorado, Mountain West Conference foe San Diego State and rival Wyoming.

The Rams’ toughest competitor will be No. 10 ranked Colorado who have home field advantage. According to coach Hopkins, UC Davis, SDSU and Wyoming could also factor into the top tier of the tournament.

However, she feels that her team will have an advantage over most of the competition.

“I feel our advantage will be altitude and course knowledge this week,” she said.

Coach Hopkins will be looking for good play from freshman Melissa Martin and senior Stefanie Ferguson, a Broomfield native.

“Stefanie finished third in this tournament last year and she will be a contender again for a top ten finish,” said coach Hopkins.

Hopkins also feels the No. 25 ranking will give her team motivation to finish well this week.

“They deserve the recognition,” she said. “They have put hours of hard work and practice into their playing and this team has the potential to remain in the top 25 the rest of the year.”

The Rams will tee off at 8:30 a.m. this morning and complete the two-day tournament sometime tomorrow afternoon, depending on their scores today.

“Our key to a good finish will be consistent play from our veteran players,” said coach Hopkins. “Of course our focus will be one shot at a time and to make every shot count.”

Women’s golf beat writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.