Authors: Glen Pfeiffer, Ryan Gibbons

As perhaps the most talked about snafu since Tom Cruise jumped on Oprah’s couch, the new Facebook has been subject to the derisive comments of college students everywhere.

Individual commentaries have flooded the site these first few weeks since users were required to adopt the new version. Example: “What did I do to deserve this?” and “Yea new Facebook is some s***!!!”/

As such, the talk of the town last week was ways to get the old Facebook back. The rumor mill abounded with various methods to do this — we ourselves confirmed/two and discovered another on our own. Unfortunately, none of those work any longer, and it is safe to assume that/as time goes by, the back alleys leading to the old Facebook will disappear — if there are even any left now./

Our view: Change is inevitable. It’s one of life’s old adages. So let’s take a look at some of the greener grass.

The first thing to notice is the powered up toolbar on the bottom of the page — this not only allows you to use the familiar chat feature but is now the fastest way to access your applications. You can choose six of your favorite applications to be shown as quick links, with the rest hiding in a pullout menu just a click away.

/Also on the list of improvements is the minimal/advertising space on the new Facebook homepage — remember those explicit dating/ads informing us of the availability of/the many singles in the Fort Collins area? The new Facebook homepage has, thus far, been wiped clean of those, while only one small ad appears in the right/hand column of the homepage./

Other than the ads, the homepage itself hasn’t really seen a change in content, just an overhaul in functionality. The news feed is, by default, quite similar,/but/can now refine the displayed information by category./This new feature allows you/to see news feeds for not only photos or status updates, but also for specific applications, so that you can view an entire list of say, only the exchanging of pieces of flair between your friends./

Other improvements include the more prominent status update box, the condensing of information into customizable tabs at the top of the homepage and the forced removal of application boxes on your profile, much to the dismay of those who loved to clutter their profile with them. Recent tests show that it now takes 50 percent less time to find someone’s Wall due to this lack of “application camouflage.”/

Although we are in favor of the new Facebook, there are a few things that irk us about it, including the moving of a user’s group list to an obscure spot low in their Info section, the movement of basic network and relationship info from the top to the side and the hybridization of the Wall and the News Feed on profile pages (note that the wall can be reverted back with a little button that says “Posts by Others” in the upper right)./

Other changes which came out shortly before the new Facebook that may have not been noticed include the ability to take a new profile picture directly from a Web cam, the ability to comment on status updates and the ability to sync your activities on sites like YouTube, Flickr and Pandora to your News Feed.

So next time you open your mouth to rip on the new Facebook, remember, natural selection favors the strong, so suck it up and get used to the changes!

Columnists Glen Pfeiffer and Ryan Gibbons can be reached at verve@collegian.com.