It must be good to be Paul Kowalczyk.

The third-year athletic director is steering a ship that is undoubtedly starting to head in the right direction.

The athletic department’s announcement Tuesday that they will be extending the Rocky Mountain Showdown past 2010 is yet another important milestone in Kowalczyk’s stint at CSU. In his time here he has completely changed the face (and, more importantly, the faces) of the athletic department.

No more dead weight or wasting time. Kowalczyk has spent the last four weeks doing what he does best — handling business. CU wants to pull out of playing the Showdown in Denver next year? Fine. Then we’re bringing it to Hughes in 2010. The contract expires in two years? No problem. We’ll find a way to make it work and keep the Buff’s holier-than-thou Big XII egos in check.

Have lingering questions about replacing the most popular football coach in the school’s history? Then try 2-1 on for size — the team’s best start in two years. Worried about developing some consistency within a men’s basketball team that sees more turnover than Spinal Tap’s drum riser? Then PK’ll sign head coach Tim Miles, an excellent recruiter and the best coach we’ve ever had go winless in conference, to a contract extension.

Sure, the football successes in non-conference games won’t be of any comfort when we’re (likely) getting stomped by TCU in a couple of weeks. And new head coach Kristen Holt could flop this upcoming women’s basketball season.

But none of that matters right now. The wins are rolling in, we have the right people in the right places, and the Showdown’s future has a pulse it didn’t have three weeks ago. We’re in good hands.