Authors: Justin Warren

A freshman and a senior led the way to an impressive top five finish for the women’s golf team Saturday at the Branch Law Firm/Dick McGuire Invitational in Albuquerque, N. M.

The finish was just what head coach Angie Hopkins was looking for out of her squad.

“I was going to be thrilled with a top seven finish, but a top five is even better,” said coach Hopkins. “If we keep finishing in the top five, we will be able to compete in the regionals at the end of the season.”

Freshman Melissa Martin impressed everyone with a 78-71-73 in her three rounds of play on the par 73 course, which put her tied for 14th overall.

“Melissa and Natalie (Stone) put us in good place in the second round,” said Coach Hopkins.

However, it was Stefanie Ferguson who led the Rams in the final round, shooting two under par to keep Colorado one stroke behind.

“I was very impressed with Stephanie’s performance in the last round,” said coach Hopkins. “For her to come back from her finishes in the first two rounds, it showed her determination.”

Ferguson finished 39th overall in the tournament after shooting 83 in her first round, but bounced back in a big way to help her team.

“It felt great to bounce back after shooting poorly in my first matches,” said Ferguson. “It was nice to finally contribute to the match and to get a little revenge on a course that has been difficult for me in the past.”

The Rams finished ahead of all but two Mountain West Conference teams, New Mexico and UNLV.

“All the Mountain West Conference teams were tough, especially New Mexico, who won on their home course,” said coach Hopkins. “I was impressed that we shot par as a team, which is something this squad have never done.”

“It was awesome to finish third among the Mountain West Conference. It will give us a lot of confidence heading into the next tournaments,” said Ferguson.

Next up for the women’s golf team will be the Heather Farr/CU Memorial in Broomfield, beginning Sept. 29.

Coach Hopkins will be taking the same girls that played this weekend to Broomfield to face off against Colorado, Wyoming, Northern Colorado, and San Diego State among others.

Sports writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.