Authors: Justin Warren

The men’s golf team had some motivation on their side for the Wolverine Intercollegiate this weekend in Ann Arbor, Mich.

After becoming ranked 18th in the Golfweek rankings on Thursday, the Rams backed it up by finishing fifth among 16 other competitors.

“I think the ranking gave the players a little motivation,” said head coach Jamie Bermel. “They want to compete at the highest level and the 18th ranking gave them some inspiration.”

The fifth place finish was the fourth top five finish the Rams have had in their last five outings, including a win two weeks ago in Colorado Springs.

The Rams were able to finish the final round with a 283, completing the tournament with a total of 851, or one under par.

Bryce Hanstad, who led the team with an 11 under par last tournament, only managed to finish with an even par round in the last match, putting him in a tie for 40th place.

Dustin Morris was the hero of this tournament with two of his three rounds coming in under par, allowing him to finish in 11th place for the tournament.

Morris shot a 69 in the first round, a 75 in the second, and a 67 in the final to finish with a total of 211 on the 71 par golf course. He also ended Sunday with five birdies and one eagle that came on Hole 11.

“He (Morris) played pretty solid,” said coach Bermel. “He wasn’t putting very well at the beginning, but he switched to his old putter and became more comfortable and played much better.”

The Rams now look ahead to their next tournament in Pala Desert, Calif., for the Wyoming Desert Intercollegiate in two weeks.

“I am very excited about our chances in the next tournament. We have some work to do but I think we will be competitive,” Bermel said.

Sports writer Justin Warren can be reached at sports@collegian.com.