Authors: Caitlyn Elizabeth Solsky

Cans around the Oval kicks off a month-long food drive benefiting the Larimer County Food Bank today, looking to break the drive’s all-time record of 140,000 pounds of food. The SLiCE office at CSU coordinates the food drive, which is the largest in Northern Colorado.

Volunteers will canvas neighborhoods asking for cans and monetary donations as well as spreading awareness of poverty in Larimer County, which increased nine percent to nearly 37,000 people from 2005 to 2006, according to the Larimer County Web site.

Last year, Cans Around the Oval received more than 130,000 pounds of food in donations. This year they hope to break their 2006 record of more than 140,000 pounds with 150,000 pounds of food.

Different organizations, such as the academic colleges, Greek Life, residence halls and departments compete in their own categories to collect cans. Last year, the College of Business won the overall competition with 26,096 pounds of food.

Keith Colton, who coordinates special events for SLiCE, said that while the Cans around the Oval crew will line the oval twice with canned food donations, that is only 20 percent of the donations the program receives.

“The shelves in the warehouse [at the food bank] go from fairly empty to overflowing,” said Sam Bowersox-Daly, another coordinator with SLiCE.

Community members can also contribute by purchasing Stone Soup from Spoons Soups & Salads. The soup is made from produce donated by local farmers. All donations benefit the Larimer County Food Bank.

“Cans Around the Oval has become one of CSU’s greatest traditions over the past 21 years,” said program coordinator Jake Blumberg in an e-mail message to the Collegian. “Cans Around the Oval has helped to create a strong legacy of service here at CSU, and every year that students volunteer and help it grow, the stronger that legacy becomes.”

Staff writer Caitlyn Solsky can be reached at news@collegian.com.