Authors: Brian Anthony

More than 285 businesses are set to appear on campus at the annual Fall Career Fair this week in what will be the largest career fair ever presented by the university’s Career Center.

“I can guarantee you it’s bigger than ever before,” said E. Ann Malen, the director of the Career Center, in a phone interview.

The history of the Career Fair dates back over 40 years, she said, when the fair was exclusive to faculty and staff. She said it was over 20 years ago when the event opened to students, allowing students direct contact to businesses interested in potential hires.

This year’s event has been expanded to three days instead of two to find room for the increased number of employers. Taking place in the Lory Student Center from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. today through Thursday, the Career Fair will feature businesses that have been attracted to the fair’s recent organizational changes.

“We’ve been successful in marketing it,” Malen said.

Today’s focus is on the social services, sciences, environmental and health departments. Graduate and professional schools will also be present.

Wednesday will feature management, finance, marketing, communications and retail organizations. Thursday will host the engineering and technology fields.

“There is something for every major at these fairs,” Malen said. “We encourage students to come more than one day.”

The Career Fair offerings will include internship opportunities. A list of the employers, graduate schools, professional schools and internship opportunities can be found on the Career Center Web site, http://career.colostate.edu.

Staff writer Brian Anthony can be reached at news@collegian.com.