Sports news and notes

Authors: Justin Warren

Tennis

Head coach Jon Messick and the Ram’s tennis team headed to Laramie, Wyo., on Thursday to face off against Wyoming, Weber State, Montana State and Northern Colorado in the Wyoming Invitational. They will be competing until Saturday.

“This tournament is extremely important because it will show who is looking good, who has progressed the most and who will step up,” Messick said. “I am anxious to see how our

players do.”

Men’s Golf

The CSU men’s golf team won the Gene Miranda Falcon Invite last Sunday in Colorado Springs by setting a new tournament record of 837 in three rounds. The win was the fourth team title the men’s team won in less than a year.

“The team played really well, but they seemed to get a little tired in the second round,” said head coach Jamie Bermel. “Bryce Hanstad played great and had a solid finish in the tournament.”

Women’s Golf

The CSU women’s golf team finished eighth in the Ptarmigan Ram Fall Classic on Tuesday at the Ptarmigan Country Club in Fort Collins. The team shot a 289 in the final round, jumping from tenth to eighth and beating conference rivals BYU and Wyoming.

“The girls played really solid,” said head coach Angie Hopkins. “They could have thrown in the towel, but they stayed focused, kept a good attitude and we jumped two spots to finish eighth.”