Authors: Stephen Myers

The CSU volleyball team defeated the Pacific Tigers 3-1 in Corvallis, Ore. on Sunday to wrap up their first road trip of the young season. The Rams (5-1) finished the weekend with a 2-1 record at the Asics Classic and now have a better idea of where they stand as a team.

“We learned a lot of things about our team this weekend,” said Head Coach Tom Hilbert. “I was proud of the way we stepped up against Pacific, who played extremely well. We maintained a nice level of composure and intensity throughout the match.”

The Rams got off to a slow start against Pacific, dropping the first game 25-20, but quickly turned things around as they won three straight to take the match. Sophomore Jacque Davisson recorded her first career double-double with 13 kills and 12 digs, while senior Mekana Barnes led the team with 17 kills.

“We were down after the first game and had to make a change,” Davisson said. “To win the next three games shows that we responded well and stepped up to the task.”

Their win over Pacific came just 17 hours after an impressive win over Oregon State University on Saturday night. Playing perhaps their best match of the season, the Rams swept the OSU Beavers 3-0 (25-16, 25-15, 25-17) behind a near-perfect hitting performance.

“We played as close to a perfect match that you can get,” Hilbert said. “If you look at the stat sheet, we only made four hitting errors which is unheard of.”

Seniors Jaime Strauss, Ashley Fornstrom, and Mekana Barnes led the way, with Strauss recording a team-high 14 kills, hitting at a .500 clip.

“I felt like we were in a fluid rhythm offensively,” Strauss said. “Everyone was really confident in their shots. I felt like I was in a good groove and personally needed some redemption for myself from last night.”

On Friday night, the Rams lost in four games to No. 27 ranked Pepperdine. CSU took the first game 25-19, but promptly lost the next three to lose the match.

“We didn’t block very well and made too many errors,” Hilbert said. “For us to win games, we need to keep our errors down.”

The Rams return from Oregon to play in Colorado this week, but before coming home to Moby they will take on the CU Buffs (6-0) in Boulder on Wednesday night. For day-to-day updates and in-game coverage of the CSU volleyball team, visit the newly launched sports blog website at http://www.studentmediacorp.com/sportsblog/.