Authors: Collegian Editorial Board

Over the weekend, an atrocity occurred in Fort Collins.

Two great events that tug at CSU students’ heartstrings occurred at nearly the same time.

New Belgium Brewery’s 9th Annual Tour de Fat and CSU’s home opener against Sacramento State were both slated for Saturday.

This unfortunate scheduling conflict forced some Rams to make a choice between their love of the CSU football team and their love of beer, bikes and silly costumes.

This tragedy was only worsened by the hope that filled the air at Hughes Stadium due to the likely outcome of the Rams’ first win under new head coach Steve Fairchild.

The weather Saturday was also perfect for biking and delighting in the creative dress-up-and-drink shenanigans that Tour de Fat is known for.

With two events that equally deserve the attendance of all CSU students, what’s a Ram to do?

Well, you could’ve gotten up early and made it to New Belgium in time for the 10 a.m. parade and spent an hour or so gallivanting around town in your funny outfit on your sweet human-powered ride.

Then, you could have grabbed a beer or two, but you would have had to cut the revelry short and run home to change out of your tour costume and into your green and gold duds.

You would have then had to sprint out the door to make the 1:30 p.m. kickoff at Hughes where upon your arrival you would have realized you were too tired and stressed to cheer for our Rammies.

And that’s no good for anybody.

We would like to extend our condolences to the CSU students who were forced into this terrible situation and make a request that Tour de Fat be scheduled on an away game weekend next year.

Please don’t make us choose between our Rams and our bikes, beer and funny costumes.

And that’s no good for anybody.