Authors: kelly bleck

A rather predictable disappointment, “College” sufficiently stereotypes college students as raunchy, mindless partiers, going beyond other party movies.

Previews for the movie provided no incentive to attend, making the actual viewing predictably bad.

After opening weekend, it only grossed $2.2 million compared to the other comedy now showing, “Tropic Thunder,” which pulled in $14.6 million on the same weekend.

Beginning with three high school students, “College” mimics the infamous “Superbad.”

The characterization is a mirror of the three friends of “Superbad,” but the actors (Andrew Caldwell, Kevin Covais and Drake Bell) prove to be inexperienced and over zealous and fail to add any comedic element to the film.

The characters include the egotistical guy (Caldwell) who consistently yells his jokes, which fall disappointingly flat, one geek (Covais) that is picked on and one guy who seems to be the conservative and sane character in the group (Bell).

Despite the aim of copying “Superbad,” the movie falls extremely short.

It is instantly evident that the story is trying to fulfill the same ridiculous guidelines, but comes off as inappropriate rather than funny.

The dialogue consists of raunchy, want-to-be banter that falls short of comedy – such as when Caldwell blurts out “On a scale of 1-10, boobies are a 9,000!”

Traveling to Fieldmont for a tour of the college, the friends ditch the assigned dormitory for the preferred fraternity, expectedly launching themselves into a ridiculous weekend that does not amuse audiences.

The unfortunate boys meet with cocky frat members who recruit them as pledges for the weekend.

Because they admit to being high school students, the boys are terrorized thoroughly.

However, despite their hardships, the boys still manage to attend crazy keg parties with strippers, nitrous-filled balloons, full bars and supermodel attendees.

The irrationality of the situations is the only source of laughter during this movie, as each scene is increasingly ridiculous.

When the boys meet three sorority girls at the start of the movie, the plot thickens slightly.

But again it develops into a predictable circle of love, loss and, ultimately, the hope of sex. The college aura portrayed insinuates that everyone attending the college lives in sororities and fraternities.

The dormitories don’t seem evident except at the beginning of the movie.

“College” was a complete disappointment, and if viewers should choose one partying comedy to watch, it should be not be this one, hands down.

Staff writer Kelly Bleck can be reached at verve@collegian.com.