Tragedies truly devastating

Jul 292008

Authors: The Rocky Mountain Collegian Editorial Board

CSU has had a hard week.

In the last week alone, there have been three tragic deaths in the CSU community. On July 22, Rebecca Allen, an employee of the Department of Journalism and Technical Communication, was hit by a car and killed while riding her bicycle early Tuesday morning.

Three days later, lightning struck William John Szlemko, a CSU graduate student, on campus, killing him.

And on Friday night, Matt Quitmeyer, a former CSU student, was found dead with a gunshot wound in his upper left chest in the Summit Hall parking lot.

CSU Police Department Chief Dexter Yarbrough said the last murder on campus was in 1982.

We at the Collegian are deeply saddened by this devastating series of deaths in the campus community. We wish to extend our condolences to any family and friends of the deceased who are suffering through this hard time.

There are resources on campus to help the bereaved deal with the tragedies. University officials say the unusually high number of deaths has taken a toll on the campus community and are offering services to help the grieving acquaintances of the deceased.

The Vice President of Student Affairs office provides information and counseling for families and concerned callers at (970) 491-1000.

Our hearts are with you, CSU. Stay strong.