Jul 292008

Authors: Aaron Hedge

Campus police have not released any new information on an investigation of a murder that left Matt Quitmeyer dead in the Summit Hall parking lot Friday night. Quitmeyer was a CSU alumnus. The CSUPD received a call reporting the body at 11:08 p.m. Friday, Police Chief Dexter Yarbrough told reporters at the press conference. Campus police are working with Fort Collins Police Services to conduct an investigation into the case, which Yarbrough said is suspected to involve foul play. He said the investigation was at the forefront of their to-do list.

“CSU and Fort Collins police have established a large presence in the area,” Yarbrough said. “We’re making this investigation a top priority.” The investigation sections off the Summit Hall parking lot and the parking lot of an adjacent apartment complex.He encouraged campus residents to be “extra vigilant”

and to report any suspicious activity to police immediately.

The last murder on campus was in 1982, Yarbrough said.

The suspected murder comes on the heels of two accidental deaths in the campus community, one of a CSU staff member and the other of a student.

Rebecca Allen, an adviser in the Department of Journalism and Technical Communication, was hit by a car while riding her bike early Tuesday and William John Szlemko, a graduate psychology student was struck by lightning Thursday in a forested area of campus called Sherwood Forest.

University officials say an unusually high number of deaths has taken a toll on the campus community.

“The events have really deeply impacted a lot of people,” said Anne Hudgens, the vice president of Student Affairs.

She said she has been working at CSU since 1984 and has never had to deal with a student death.

“It’s been a very, very sad week for Colorado State University,” Yarbrough said. “We are determined to bring the case to justice.”

Yarbrough said anyone with more information about the murder should call CSUPD at (970) 491-6425.

The Vice President of Student Affairs office provides info and counsel for families and concerned callers at 491-1000.

News Managing Editor Aaron Hedge can be reached at news@collegian.com.