Man found dead on campus

Jul 222008

Authors: Aaron Hedge

A man was found dead with a gunshot wound in his upper left chest in the Summit Hall parking lot Friday night, the CSU Police Department said in a press conference Saturday.

The identity of the man is not being released pending contact of his family, but he is not believed to be a current CSU student or a member of the group of law enforcement students that have been on campus all week.

The CSUPD received the report of the body at about 11:08 p.m. Friday, Police Chief Dexter Yarbrough told reporters at the press conference.

Campus police are working with Fort Collins Police Services to conduct an investigation into the case, which Yarbrough said was suspected to be foul play. He said the investigation was at the forefront of their to-do list.

“CSU and Fort Collins police have established a large presence in the area,” Yarbrough said. “We’re making this investigation a top priority.”

The investigation sectioned off the Summit Hall parking lot and the parking lot of an adjacent apartment complex.

He encouraged campus residents to be “extra vigilant” and report any suspicious activity to police immediately.

The last murder on campus was in 1982, Yarbrough said.

The suspected murder comes on the heels of two accidental deaths in the campus community, one of a CSU staff member and the other of a student.

Rebecca Allen, an adviser in the Department of Journalism and Technical Communication, was hit by a car while riding her bike early Tuesday and William John Szlemko, a graduate psychology student was struck by lightening Thursday in a forested area of campus called Sherwood Forest.

University officials say unusually high number of deaths has taken a toll on the campus community.

“The events have really deeply impacted a lot of people,” said Anne Hudgens, the dean of Students. She said she has been working at CSU since 1984, and has never had to deal with a student death.

“It’s been a very, very sad week for Colorado State University,” Yarbrough said. “We are determined to bring the case to justice.”

Yarbrough said anyone with more information about the murder should call CSUPD at 970-491-6425.

The vice president of Student Affairs office provides info and counsel for families and concerned callers at 491 1000.

News Managing Editor Aaron Hedge can be reached at news@collegian.com.