Jul 222008

Authors: Kate Bennis

Rebecca Allen was an outdoor enthusiast. So much so that everyone who knew her was aware of her passion for physical activity. But it was this passion that led to tragedy early Tuesday morning when she and friend Jen Garvey rode their bicycles along Drake Road and were struck by a man in a 2004 black Saab.

Allen was rushed toPoudre Valley Hospital, where she died of her injuries.

Now, in grief over their loss, friends and coworkers remember Allen, 32, as an energetic, inspirational person in their lives.

“Rebecca was the kind of person who leave an indelible impression on everyone she meets,” friend and colleague Jenny Fischer told the Collegian Tuesday.

Allen, who worked as an undergraduate program administrator for the Department of Journalism and Technical Communication for a year before her death, is remembered as an energetic person who was meticulous in making sure that the undergraduates under her care received the best educational experience possible.

But she was also all about having fun. Fischer remembers what she called “TLDs,” or “the longest days,” which Allen and her husband used to distract friends from the monotony of everyday life by enjoying the outdoors and following the activities with beer and barbeque.

Fischer wrote about one such day, which started at 8 a.m., with a long bike ride, after which the Allens and friends “reconvened at her house for barbeque and Pabst Blue Ribbon — their favorite beer.”

“The goal of the parties is to get outside, enjoy the great outdoors and ‘kick your own ass,'” Fischer wrote on a piece of office paper to the Collegian.

Greg Luft, chair of the Department of Journalism and Technical Communication, said Allen was an asset to the Journalism Department.

“She was dedicated to her work and loved her job,” Luft said in a telephone interview. “She was very energetic . She had a wonderful spirit.”

Allen and her husband, Greg Allen, participated in a co-ed softball league called Fuller’s Loaded Bases with several other members of the CSU Journalism Department. Rebecca and Greg played the positions of first base and outfielder respectively.

She worked for the CSU Department of Journalism and Technical Communication during her time as a graduate student at the university from 2000 to 2002.

Allen’s passion for bicycles was also an important part of her life, Luft said. She and Greg worked at Recycled Cycles together shortly after graduating.She had always placed a great amount of emphasis on safety in her cycling career, always wearing a helmet. She encouraged all of her friends to ride bicycles, Luft said.

“Rebecca loved bicycling, and everyone that knew her knew that about her,” he said.

Staff writer Kate Bennis can be reached at news@collegian.com.