Authors: Rachel KnoxStutsman

The CSU softball team will kick off the last weekend of the 2008 season this afternoon with a doubleheader against Brigham Young. The first pitch is scheduled for 1:30. Then the Utah Utes will come to Ram Field for a two-game weekend series.

After Friday’s 3 p.m. game, the Rams will host the Utes at noon on Saturday for Senior Day to say good-bye to Julia Kloppe, Lauren Cusick and Cayte Billman.

Last weekend the Rams (26-21, 6-10) went 2-2 on a road trip to San Diego and Las Vegas. Friday was spent in Southern California, where host San Diego State swept the doubleheader. The Rams came back to sweep the UNLV Rebels, 14-6 and 13-11, Saturday and Sunday. Pitcher Rebecca Penland was integral to the road trip.

The sophomore from Riverside, Calif., was named the Mountain West player of the week Tuesday, but not for her performance in the circle. but at the plate instead. Penland went 7-for-14 with a double, home run, five RBIs and two runs scored.

BYU comes to town in second place in the conference, trailing SDSU by one game. The cougars are 11-5 in conference play and 38-17 overall. Senior Daniela Snow leads the pack at the plate with a .414 batting average, 19 doubles, 16 home runs, 58 RBIs and 39 runs. The Cougar pitching staff is led by 16-game winner and senior Christina Trice, who has a minuscule 1.53 ERA in 155.2 innings pitched.

The Utes will come to town Friday with a 28-23 record overall record, 10-6 conference record, which places them third, four games ahead of CSU. Utah’s offense is lea by sophomore Kara Foster with a .345 average. Sophomore pitcher Ashley Smuda has an 18-11 record with a 2.61 ERA in 204 innings.

Sports writer Rachel Knox-Stutsman can be reached at sports@collegian.com.