Authors: Collegian Editorial Staff

The importance of buying local is something that environmentalists, social activists and grassroots interest groups all agree stimulates the economy and encourages community participation.

The only people who say markets should be more focused globally are professional economists. And let’s not kid ourselves – their primary interest is the global economy, so what do they know about local markets?

We at the Collegian agree with the local philosophy.

The most important thing to society that is lost in global consumerism is culture. Take Fort Collins for example. Local breweries, restaurants, hookah bars and small clothing shops are all part of the rich culture of Fort Collins.

But go a mile or two south and you’re bombarded by large chains – a little bit like watching commercial TV. You’ve got Johnny Carino’s, Bennigans, the Foothills Mall and a slew of commercial entities.

Go a mile or two east and you’ve all the places activists really hate – Wal-Mart, The Home Depot, all the big hotel chains, etc.

Thank God that in Old Town the business crowd still keeps the local culture going. But downtown has also seen its fair share of changes in the last 20 years.

Fort Collins will not retain its culture without the efforts for localism from community members.

But when large commercial giants like Wal-Mart which carry all the big name brands that outsource to third-world countries so they can sell product for a tenth of the price, what can the small guy do to compete?

Not much. But community members – including students – can keep the culture going by supporting local retailers.

Buy local, people.