Authors: Cece Wildeman

The CSU chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi donated 200 dollars to the Larimer County Boys and Girls Club Thursday, the first of many donations they hope to make to the organization.

The Boys and Girls Club is an organization that offers a safe place for kids to go between 6a.m. and 7p.m. every day. They provide a computer lab, a study room, a recording studio, a gym and weight room and a variety of games.

The cost for the services is five dollars per kid per year, so the organization is grateful for all of the donations they receive, said Pam Rud, the unit director of the Fort Collins club.

“Trying to work on a limited budget and keep staff hours down, having CSU students here is important,” she said.

In addition to the money donated by the fraternity, members have volunteered with the organization and taken the kids out to Nuggets games, Chuck E. Cheese’s and to college campuses.

Justin Gautier, the “polemarch” of the CSU chapter, said the members strive to teach the kids leadership, development and the importance of academics.

“Hanging out with college students gives them a chance to see another side of life,” he said. “We want to leave them with something they can learn.”

In order to raise money for their donations, the fraternity members organize social events open to all CSU students. They charge at the door for their events as well as accept donations for their cause.

“We want to get CSU involved with us and promote diversity, because that is what everyone is trying to strive for,” Gautier said.

Gautier said that there are not many other groups that work with the boys and girls club, but part of the reason the fraternity became involved with the organization is because one of their members was involved for school.

“Coming back to make a donation is just right,” said Michael Myers, who did his human development and family studies practicum for the Boys and Girls Club.

The fraternity members said they plan to raise more money and continue to volunteer their time for the Boys and Girls Club in the 2008-2009 school year.

“We want to give back something that goes straight to the kids,” said Tony Daniels, adviser to the fraternity. “Kids are our future.”

Senior Reporter Cece Wildeman can be reached at news@collegian.com