Authors: Rachel KnoxStutsman

The CSU softball team heads out on the road this weekend to play four games in three days, looking to end the road portion of its schedule on a high note.

The Rams currently sit in fifth place of the six-team Mountain West Conference, fives games back of first-place BYU.

“We are looking to put together some wins (this weekend) and stay within shouting distance.” Rams coach Mary Yori said.

The Rams (24-19, 4-8 ) play a doubleheader against San Diego State starting at 6 tonight in San Diego. Saturday, they head to Las Vegas for a two-game series with UNLV (23-36-1, 3-11).

Last weekend, the team closed out a seven-game homestand that saw senior third baseman Lauren Cusick break records for the most home runs by a Ram in a single season (15) and over a career (34). Cusick’s 17 home runs are tied for the MWC lead with BYU’s Angeline Quiocho.

Cusick has been the catalyst for the Rams’ offense all season, ranking near top of the conference in several statistical categories. The senior from Salem, Ore., is tied for the lead in total bases with 127, second with 15 doubles, first with 52 runs, second with a .513 on base percentage, and first with a .888 slugging percentage.

After Saturday morning’s snowfall forced an early postponement of what was supposed to be game 1, they split a doubleheader with New Mexico on Sunday, dropping game 1 by an 8-2 margin and slaughtering the Lobos, 11-1, in game 2.

Since CSU last played SDSU at Ram Field on April 19-20, the Aztecs have gone 2-2, splitting a doubleheader with BYU in Provo, Utah, and splitting a two-game series last weekend with Utah in Salt Lake City. Two weeks ago, when visiting Fort Collins, San Diego State swept the Rams by winning 4-1 and 5-4.

“We are looking to beat San Diego State and put together a competitive game.” Yori said.

The Rebels have gone 2-6 since their visit to Ram Field on April 18. After leaving behind Fort Collins and the getting swept by the Rams on regional television, UNLV took out its frustration on New Mexico by sweeping a two-game series in Albuquerque. The Rebels were then were swept by Utah, BYU and Nevada-Reno. All but one of the six losses were by one run.

CSU will return to Ram Field Thursday to wrap up Mountain West play and the regular season May 8-11 with games against BYU and Utah.

Sports writer Rachel Knox-Stutsman can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

Game info

Friday CSU @ SDSU

G1: 6 PM G2 8PM MST

Saturday CSU@ UNLV, 7 pm

Sunday CSU @ UNLV 2 PM

LEADERS

AVRG Cusick, Lauren… .399

RBI Cusick, Lauren… 35

HR1. 6 Cusick, Lauren… 17

H Cusick, Lauren… 57

W “Billman 8

SV Klabough 2

ERA Billman 3.97

Sidebar:

MWC softball standings

Team Conf Overall

BYU 10-4 37-16

SDSU 9-5 37-15

Utah 9-5 26-21

New Mexico 5-7 23-20

CSU 4-8 24-19

UNLV 3-11 23-36-1